Classes of hosting services
A hosting service suggests stashing and/or sharing specific content on a server handled by a hosting company. There are various categories of hosting services used for different ends, so let's have a glance at these. Thus, you can determine what you need, depending on whether you desire to run a blog, mailbox accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a solution supplied by particular firms, which permits you to share huge files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, etc. This service is also known as file storage, and its only objective is to share files, since it does not offer site uploading. Once the files are uploaded, you will either obtain a randomly generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to explore a roster of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php web page files in your browser. Free file hosting solutions often include adverts by the download links, while a timer makes you wait for a given span of time to perceive them. A single file can be downloaded with limited speed. If you get a paid file hosting account, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download at once, and also there is no restriction in regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting distributors, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more modish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly fallacious interpretation of the actual denotation of "cloud hosting". A real cloud website hosting platform would allot the load between different sets of web servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web site hosting services (electronic mail, storage space, stats, DNS, databases, web page hosting CP, and so on.) So, the file hosting service is only a kind of a disk space hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even near.
- Image hosting: resembling file hosting; given suppliers provide a hosting solution for pictures exclusively. This hosting variant is appropriate if you desire to share an immense amount of images with pals or associates since the service is typically free of charge. You will obtain a random link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file hosting solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for websites.
- E-mail hosting: a solution devoted to administering your electronic mail accounts. Some providers offer web page hosting solutions for websites, but do not supply an e-mail solution. If you want to open an e-mail address with your domain name but do not want to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting solution is what you need. You can set up email mailbox accounts and manage them, but there will be no hosting solution for the domains. The email hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP email servers.
- Video hosting: this service allows you to upload and share videos. You can either share a link to some video clip, or you can embed the video file in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The benefit of using this method instead of uploading the video clip in a hosting account is that the video brings about a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a few video files and a few hundred website visitors, you may have trouble with your web hosting reserves. Embedding the video file will permit you to administer as many videos as you wish without bothering about system quotas.
- Website hosting: this is the service that you need if you desire to own a website. To a certain extent, it encompasses all of the abovementioned hosting variants since, along with your web pages, you can also host pics and files, you can create databases and mail aliases, upload video files, etc. At Free Hostia, for example, you can have a look at web hosting and dedicated web server hosting accounts that allow you to get all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions based on the sort of hosting solution that you've opted for - a free hosting package, a paid shared hosting account, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your website hosting plan may be better or worse compared to the common email/file/video/image hosting packages that are intended for particular web content exclusively.